Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oh Menswear, How I Love Thee. Let Us Count the Ways...


When I was a tween, I favored preppy button-ups, baggy rolled up jeans, vests, and slouchy V-necks. When my own closet fell short, I unapologetically dove into my brother's (much to his dismay) collection of henleys, tees, and sweatshirts...and not just because they were modest.  Back then, I wasn't actually sure why I adored them so much. I remember very fondly wearing a mechanic shirt in a swampwater-green hue, complete with arm patches emblazened with random petroleum blurbage. I wore it until I bore holes in the elbows in college...and this was before I patched it. There was just something effortlessly cool about these unconstricted, non-girly silhouettes I was so drawn to.




It wasn't until recently, as a grown adult that I realized WHY I was so smitten. There is something remarkably untrying, something understatedly confident about a gal in dude's clothing. It's like subconsciously flipping the bird to all those ridiculous expectations society has of women - to be ultra feminine, to wear confining shapes, makeup, hair did, everything did, much like Coco Chanel with the invention of her relaxed suit in an era of corsets and ultra-femme looks.  It's not really caring about being ladylike. I'm not talking about being androgynously masculine, the goal is never to try to LOOK like a guy...rather, it's to bring in masculine elements which, surprisingly enough,  highlight femininity.  As much as I enjoy dressing up and looking "pretty" on occasion, menswear allows me to "hide" in my outfit in a subtle and edgier way, without having to wear a potato sack or a burqa to protest the societal norms of curling my hair, donning a skirt, or...wearing pink.



Real life menswear - strong and effortless


For all these reasons, the Kurt Cobain era of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" chic holds a sweet, nostalgic spot in my heart. My own clean, not-so-grungy take on grunge was an everyday version of menswear that was realistic for me...because unfortunately, I was never invited to as many black tie galas, where I could sport my pinstripe tuxedos and slicked back hair, as I would have liked. Sad face.

Neo-Grunge

Plaid with Boyfriend Jeans

Docs. Nuff said. 



Already an avid menswear and grunge fan when it flourished in the 90's, the trend allowed me to wear my flannels, non-tight jeans, and Doc Martens with reckless abandon. With the reemergence of tartan, combat boots, and "picnic tablecloth" print these days, I'm particularly excited...and I just can't hide it.

If you've ever thought about diving into any form of menswear but weren't sure how, here is a guideline to keep in mind - be sure makeup and hair can hang by keeping them ladylike yet strong (red lips, winged liner, sleek but soft hair), and add feminine accessories as a foil to the hard apparel (think dainty necklaces, chains, charm bracelets, pointy pumps).


The best of femme-edge: Boho Grunge



Any wonder why these are my favorite shoes of the moment?


Menswear&Grunge



Here's to being older, more confident, and more able to embrace the things we love...and knowing exactly why :)


Written by Saba Ali - stylist, writer, and founder of SBD - Image Consulting

Comments? Questions? Leave below or email us at stylebydesign.sbd@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. Great post great stuff everything is perfect and pictures makes this post alive. Thank you so much for sharing this post.
    integrated receivables management

    ReplyDelete