Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Commercial Stint

Follow Me on PinterestInstagram
No two of my assignments are ever alike. Even in the case of closet overhauls, one has never been similar to another...simply because people have vastly different tastes, expectations, goals, and (most importantly) abilities to trust and open up when they reach out to me. Makes for a starkly different experience each time.

So when I got asked to work on set for a commercial shot by a local retailer, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  The mystery factor was high before I went on this particular job, as I had been told over the phone simply that there would be several different people to "style" (this word can have a wide range of definition!)  Hence, I had little idea what I would be in for when I arrived.

Turned out, there was a range of lovely ladies I worked with. And by range I mean...a vastly diverse group, not just in ethnicity, but in every sense of the word one can fathom.

By the time I packed up and drove home, I had styled twelve different people: from wide-eyed, eight-year-old little girls to seasoned and loving grandmothers and aunts. Body types, skin tones, and ethnicities were as broad in spectrum as age. The commercial being shot was meant to showcase the modest woman in all different occasions of life, from lounging by the pool, to a day at the park...to a fancy evening shindig. Some women were walking examples of restrained apparel in real life. Others were professional models being introduced and bedecked according to the concept for the first time ever that day. But regardless of age or personal style, each and every woman came to me excited, curious and hopeful that I'd make them look picture-perfect for their time on camera. They placed themselves wholeheartedly in my care - a weighty trust. Trust is essentially everything in this game.

Luckily, the client was flexible and allowed me to use my own judgement on what looks and styles would look right on whom and how to coordinate the ensembles themselves. The best results are produced when I'm given a general vision and handed the reigns, versus being constricted or micromanaged. Trust (there's that word again) and openness to new ideas are essential elements in this work. 

What did I learn? A whole lot of thought and effort goes into a 30 second commercial! So many of the details everyone fretted over got chopped in the editing room, but the end product is well-done:


Here are some shots of my finished work on set:

















~Need a little help? Visit us at www.facebook.com/sbdimageconsulting or email @stylebydesign.sbd@gmail.com~

No comments:

Post a Comment