Monday, August 12, 2013

Shoe Lineup: The Comfy, the Functional, and the Frivolous


I have an extreme love-hate relationship with shoes. They can either be the bane of my existence or the complete center of my obsession. Let me explain.

As an avid shoe shopper, I am in a constant mental struggle. The beautiful shoes, the ones that are like bejeweled pieces of art or a crash course in architectural asymmetry, are the ones I am always drawn to and want to bring home. But when it comes to actual wear, these lovelies get shafted. My life is not as glamorous as I imagine it to be when I'm in the middle of that coveted purchase. My existence revolves around dropoffs, pickups, local cazh dinners (to which I can maybe pull off a 2.5-3 inch heel...max!), and lots of cherished family time (shoes off!). Sadly, none of these activities call for four-to-six inch platforms of inefficacity as I sometimes wish they would. When I do wear them, the apparent intimidation I cause my flat footed friends sometimes trumps the excitement I feel pulling them on.

So lately I've tried to be a bit more practical, and have taken some useful mental notes on which shoes I actually wear, and why.  Here's a roundup of some of my most used and loved (with a few indulgent pairs thrown in for good measure) from the past few months of summer straight into my lineup for fall: 

The Two-and-Some-Inch Block Heel (Category: Functional)





These gals did not initially set my heart racing as other heels in my past, but after the firm decision to use mind over emotion, I bit the bullet and purchased...and have NOT been disappointed. Already a fashion blogger favorite, this shoe has gotten more wear than any of my heels all summer. And it's no surprise: the neutral color block, the balanced strap widths and not-too-dainty aesthetic, and most importantly, the lengthening yet not towering heel height, all make these my recent go-to shoe. Another plus? The white strap has actually stayed white, despite trampling, upheaval, and heavy wear. 

The Peppered Flat (Category: Comfortable)




Tired of gladiators and chunky straps, my inner girly girl was on the hunt for a dainty yet fuller coverage flat sandal for all my flowy summer skirts, dresses, and palazzos. Score with these lovelies. Subtley embellished, covered yet not too exposing (I still need protection to keep my heels and toes clean!), this shoe feels pretty yet effortless, two qualities that equate to constantly wanting, rather than forcing, a wear. 

The Psychadelic Wedge (Category: Functional)


My poor skirts, pants, and wide leg jeans. You know, the ones that have impossibly long hems and require a heel to prevent trudging them thru all the filth of the world?  I had been pushing them into the back of my closet for so long I had forgotten most of them existed. Tried as much as I did, I've never been big on cork or typical girly wedge sandals...they never quite fit into the preppy chic ideal I tend to favor.  Enter this god-sent shoe. Feels positively flat underfoot yet is constructed with a clean shape and modern structure. These have become the means for all those long lost bottoms to be reinstated into my life. Joy unparalleled!

The Edgy Nerd Moccasin (Category: Comfortable




Not much explanation needed here. These shoes are chic yet comfy, dressy yet casual, and they don't make my feet look humongous. Luxe pony hair coupled with leopard detail encourages the print-on-print phenomenon that is all the rage right now. These shoes are currently in the running towards becoming America's Next Top It-Shoe. 

The Spring Dream (Category: Frivolous) 







Aka my Spain shoes, I picked them up on a passing whim one rainy day strolling thru the gorgeously tiled streets of Granada. They were at that precise moment in time the shoes that were going to change my life forever (you know the feeling. That twang you get when you think you've finally met the shoe you've been waiting for all your life. Or that the shoe has actually been waiting to meet YOU. Happens to me about once a month). Simply looking at them invokes sweet memories of long lazy days, drizzle, tapas, and flamenco.  And it reminds me of those brave, inspirational, and hopelessly chic European women who walk everywhere in these types of creations all day long without a frown, alongside their short, smitten men.


The Non-Intimidating Pump (Category: Functional)



The low heel height, dove grey hue, softened toe, and suede exterior make these a downright approachable shoe in stark comparison to its often taller, patented, and pointier sister pump. Throw them on with anything, anytime. No brainer. 

The Barely There Bootie (Category: Comfortable)



The open style paired with the luxe suede fabric make this shoe a walking contradiction. The taupe shade lends itself to anything, and the criss cross detail give it some fun edge. Flowy bottoms and pops of color are a nice foil to this unexpected comfy pick.

The Husband Pleaser (Category: Functional)




These were a gift several years ago from my better half, and despite my first impression, the almost cone heel and buckle detail makes for quite a comfy shoe. I love them and will wear them with great gusto on special occasions, but the flashy red patent composition causes me to err on the side of caution before deciding to toss these on with just any ensemble. When in need of a mental boost or splash of color with an otherwise boring outfit however, these are the ones I consistently reach for. 

The Bejeweled Flat (Category: Frivolous)


Sure, they can lend themselves to almost anything (including ethnic wear!), but the double straps (4 in total) make these a painstakingly time-consuming pair to get on, and the bare look can cause dirty feet when worn in certain areas. Despite their flat heel and pretty aesthetic, I don't find myself reaching for them all too often.




Written by Saba Ali - stylist, writer, and founder of SBD - Image Consulting

Comments? Questions? Leave below or email us at stylebydesign.sbd@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I love this selection. Can you tell me where you got the grey suede pumps?

    ReplyDelete