Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Supreme Season



It's no secret I have a fall fetish. Everything about this season just jives with every fibre of my being - the shorter days, the crisper nights, the return of my favorite TV shows,  apple and pumpkin confections, rich stews and soups in abundance, and of course, extended holiday shopping hours :)

This week it feels like fall has finally dug its stubborn yet patient heels deep into the leaf-laden earth, and I am a little astonished at how strongly this puts a positive spin on my mood.  I feel like a bit of a broken record every year, complaining that I can't put on those exciting fall finds until it actually gets cold, blah blah blah...but I'm over it.  I think. Well, I'm trying. And before I offend anyone dealing with sub-zero extremities, just know this all comes from a Cali-born and raised gal who craves the four seasons to make their distinct marks in her year.

Rather than being ruled by my emotions, I've attempted to apply a logical reality in my head. This is in order to avoid the usual emotional heartache I experience as I wait impatiently for summer to go away (this travesty usually starts in early September). Here goes:

According to temperatures and precipitation (versus conventional thought), the following is my seasonal breakdown of the year, by month: 



Fall/Winter = Nov-April
Spring/Summer = May-October

Noted.


Likewise...

Fall/Winter apparel in stores: August-January
Spring/Summer apparel in stores: February-July

Hence....

The overlap to enjoy newly bought seasonally-appropriate apparel is about 3 months:

Nov-Jan: Fall/Winter
May-July: Spring/Summer

Sound about right? Now, I just need to accept and appreciate this small window so I can stop having the same complaint every year. I think I'm handling it quite well this time around, compared to my usual rants (although sometimes my annoyance with seasonal limbo can prove somewhat fruitful, as demonstrated here).



Anyone NOT see at least one item they'd like to snuggle up in?


The opportunity to embrace fall is officially here. I've been pulling out my furs and leathers and wearing them shamelessly, even if the day happens to peak out at 70 degrees. The switch to booties, layers, and scarves is apparent in the general populace everywhere, from the functional suburbs to the more conscious city streets.  It's the best time of the year, and it always goes by so darn fast.  Enjoy.




Written by Saba Ali - stylist, writer, and founder of SBD - Image Consulting

Comments? Questions?  Leave below or email us at stylebydesign.sbd@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment